Dr. Dwayne Meisner
Instructor III of Classics
B.A. Hons, M.A. (University of Regina), M.A. & Ph.D. (University of Western Ontario)
Phone: 306.359.1218 | Fax: 306.359.1200 | Office: CM 414
- Greek and Roman myth and ritual (focusing on mystery cult and the Orphic tradition)
- Greek and Latin language and literature, including epic and tragic poetry, prose philosophy and history
- Ancient social, cultural, and intellectual history
- Theory and methodology in the study of myth and ritual
Current Scholarly Projects
- The first complete English translation of the Orphic Hymns, Lithica, Argonautica, and Orphic fragments
- Orphic Tradition and the Birth of the Gods. New York: Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Review: Marie-Christine Fayant, Hymnes Orphiques. Paris: Les Belles Lettres, 2014. Journal of Hellenic Studies 136 (2016).
- “The Evolution of the Roman Calendar.” Past Imperfect 15 (2009), 290-321.
- “Michel Foucault and the Death of History.” The Mirror 29 (March 2009), 1-18.
Review: Anthi Chrysanthou, Defining Orphism. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2020. Classical Review 71, 1 (2021): 201-203