While we wish we were welcoming our new students on campus, we’ve developed a new online “class” for all first-year Campion students to give them a place to check out important links, virtually chat and meet other first years, and ask questions of each other and the staff at Campion!
It’s called COPE (Campion Orientation Prep Education) and it is on all first-year students’ URCourses account now and will be for their entire first year. If you are a first year Campion student and don’t have it on your URCourses page, email email@example.com to be added.
As part of COPE, we did virtual workshops on Friday, August 28 to get our new students ready for the start of the semester. The links to the taped sessions are on the URCourses pages and below. They included:
- Study Skills
Cognitive psychologist (and Campion College Dean) Dr. Tom Phenix discussed about how to use your study time to the fullest by understanding how your brain learns.
- Tips for Distance Learning
Dr. Alec Couros from the Faculty of Education shared his knowledge and experience integrating education and technology
- Writing for University
Learn what to expect and how to find help from Scott J Wilson, Coordinator of the Writing Across the Disciplines program.
- How to Stay Motivated
Dr. Katherine Arbuthnott is a professor of psychology at Campion College, and one of her areas of interest is the science of human motivation. She talked about how to navigate the unique challenges of being a student during a pandemic.
There are three “instructors” listed for COPE (Sarah Greenwood, Shannon Kotylak, and Mike Muma) and they’re available to answer your questions anytime. You can email them right in URCourses!
Need help with your schedule, including changing, dropping, and adding classes? Reach out to the Campion Registrar’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment or click on our new live chat in the bottom right corner to talk to someone during business hours.
In the shadow of the COVID 19 pandemic, let’s utilize all our resources to keep balance, calm and joy in our day to day lives. Here are a few suggested resources by topic. Please feel free to let us know about awesome and helpful resources and ideas you discover out there!
Kelly Bourke Kelly.email@example.com 306-359-1235
Virtual Coffee Shop
- Campus Ministry BYO coffee/tea drop-in time on Zoom (11-Noon on Monday and Wednesday) and Messenger (1-2pm Tuesdays and Thursdays) – sign up for links and reminders
- Set up a virtual coffee time with friends! Invite someone who might appreciate connecting!
- Campion Campus Ministry Connect Facebook virtual coffee page
- Campion’s Meditation Minutes online on Zoom (Thursdays from 2:00 to 2:25pm)
- 3 minute retreats – https://www.loyolapress.com/3-minute-retreats-daily-online-prayer
- Find a quiet space and moment, or make one, close your eyes, breathe deeply, and count slowly from 20 down to 0. Repeat as needed or helpful. If you find yourself quite distracted, try first focusing on something you are grateful for and then begin.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pLUleLdwY4&app=desktop (yoga meditation for anxiety)
- Calm and Headspace have some free content
- Archdiocese of Regina Outreach Project – https://archregina.sk.ca/archregina-outreach
- Blood Donation – https://blood.ca/en/blood/donor-centre-hours-locations (for information and to make an appointment)
Laughter (it’s good for body, mind and soul!)
- Phone a friend to share a joke! (Laughing with others is even better!)
- Jokes – http://www.laughfactory.com/jokes/latest-jokes (Jokes are submitted by the public and therefore the content is as you find it)
- https://www.karenabend.com/sketchbook-revival-2020/ (Sketchbook Revival Creativity Workshop)
- https://www.youtube.com/circlelineartschool (Circle Line Art School)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WR-FyUQc6I (Rapid Fire Art Lesson)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYBd5LT6pJo (Watercolour painting tutorial)
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAEQD0ULngi55eOOpIGvWYAOCEAi16GNP (Bob Ross short clips)
- Origami: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/online-features/metkids/videos/Fold-an-Origami-Samurai-Helmet (okay, it’s made for kids, but really, we can all get into this!)
- https://www.metopera.org/ (Night Opera streamed for free by the MET in NYC)
- https://www.broadwayhd.com/ (free 7 day trial of Broadway shows)
- Looking at, and especially being out in, nature and the fresh air is good for the soul! If you are stuck indoors, find a window to peer out and reflect.
- If you don’t need to stay inside, get out there for a walk!
- If you can’t go for a walk, or a roll, and don’t have a good window, try something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDir9-UoPjo (quiet stream in the woods – 60 minutes)
- uregina.ca/counselling Counseling Services at U of R (online appointments available starting this week)
- Food banks could use your help! (or you might be helped by them!) https://reginafoodbank.ca/contact-us/
- URSU Cares Pantry https://ursu.ca/services/ursu-cares/pantry/ (the next date is Wednesday, March 25th – 306-586-8811)
- Doctors without Borders https://www.doctorswithoutborders.ca/
Museums and More
- https://www.metmuseum.org/ (virtual tour and artworks online)
- @vaticanmuseums (Free Vatican Museum tours on Instagram)
Prayer (Catholic) – Multifaith resources coming/TBA
- https://archregina.sk.ca/ (for local Catholic news or prayer resources and links)
- https://bustedhalo.com/ (a ministry of The Paulist Fathers)
- Ignatian Prayer Resources
- Campus Ministry Rosary on Zoom (Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 9am)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgtJ-sFzWww (Ascension presents)
- Stations of the Cross
- Campus Ministry Stations on Zoom (Fridays at 10am)
- Virtual Retreat
- 3 minute retreats: https://www.loyolapress.com/3-minute-retreats-daily-online-prayer
- Campus Ministry Holy Week 2 hour Mini Retreat (April 7th at 7pm – registration TBA)
- Mass online
- https://www.wordonfire.org/daily-mass/ (Bishop Robert Barron)
- https://saltandlighttv.org/mass/ (English)
- https://seletlumieretv.org/messe/ (French)
- https://livestream.com/accounts/17094656 (Resurrection Parish in Regina)
- stmichaelscathedral.com/live (7:30am EST from Toronto – that’s 5:30am to us out here so it might not be for everyone!)
- Celebration of the Word
- Daily Scripture readings: https://readings.livingwithchrist.ca/?fbclid=IwAR3avq11gNFtAXBy1zqY5fx_2TAbNnESsdHE6LYtlUc9AqP2XENQzanX6qg
- Campus Ministry Communal Celebration of the Word on Zoom – Thursdays at 4pm. Length of time – 45 minutes
- Spiritual Direction
- By appointment