3.2 Terms of Reference for the Chair
CAMPION COLLEGE BOARD OF REGENTS
POLICY: Terms of Reference for the Chair
The Chair of the Board must be a member of the Board, is elected at the Annual Meeting of the Board for a period of two years, each term of office is renewable for another two years by election. (By-Law 1.12)
The duties of the Chair are found in By-Law 1.16 and include:
The Chair of the Board shall
a) Cause notice to be given of all meetings;
b) Cause an accurate and complete record to be kept of the minutes of all meetings and all transactions of the Board;
c) Ensure safe-keeping of all official documents of the Board;
d) Cause all correspondence to be attended to;
e) Carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the Board.
Interpretation of other duties assigned by the Board
- The Chair’s primary role is managing the affairs of the Board including ensuring that the Board is organized properly, functions effectively, and meets its obligations and responsibilities.
- The Chair works with the President to ensure effective relations with Board members, stakeholders, and the public.
- The Chair maintains regular communications with the Board Secretary and interacts with members of senior administration of the college on a need basis.
Works with Management
- Acts as the principal sounding board and confidant for the President, including helping to define issues, review strategies, maintain accountability and build relationships.
- Works closely with the President to ensure that management strategies, plans and performance are appropriately represented to the Board.
- Where appropriate, assists in representing the College.
- Ensures that the President is aware of concerns of the Board, stakeholders and the public.
- Leads the Board in monitoring and evaluating the performance of the President; ensures the accountability of the President; and ensures implementation of management succession and development plans by the President.
Managing the Board
- Presides at all meetings of the Board.
- Ensures that the Board is alert to its obligations to the College, management, stakeholders, and pursuant to law.
- Establishes the frequency of the meetings and reviews such frequency from time to time, as considered appropriate, or as requested by the Board.
- Ensures the coordination of the agenda, information packages, and related events for Board meetings in conjunction with the President and Board Secretary.
- Ensures that the Board receives adequate and regular up-dates from the President on issues important to the welfare and future of the College.
- Recommends through the Executive Committee to the Board for approval, the appointment of Committee Chairs, as well as review of the need for, the performance and suitability of those committees.
- Assigns an experienced Board member as a mentor for each new Board member.
Relations with Stakeholders and the Public
- In conjunction with the President, the Chair ensures that the College’s management and, where applicable, the Board are appropriately represented at official functions and meetings with major stakeholders.
- Undertakes public service activities, as requested by the President and relevant committees, in connection with the College’s mission and goals.